The doubt still remained, but it was lifted by Alec Baldwin, actor and producer of the film Rust : the shooting of the American western, bereaved by the death of the director of photography following an accidental shooting of Alec Baldwin himself during a rehearsal, will not resume.
“We were a very, very close-knit team making a film together and this horrible event happened”The actor, who was speaking for the first time in front of television cameras since the drama on October 21, said on Saturday October 30.
In an email sent to members of the film crew of Rust by the weekend following the drama, the film’s production reported that work on the western was on hold at least until the investigation was completed, but suggested it could resume.
“Sometimes accidents happen on film sets, but nothing like that. There was a risk in a trillion that this would happen ”, he lamented in this improvised interview at the side of a road, and broadcast by the people channel TMZ, showing him accompanied by his wife, Hilaria, in Manchester, Vermont.
The actor said he didn’t know when he could work on a set with weapons again, and replied « non » when he was asked if the filming of Rust would resume one day.
Possible lawsuits against Alec Baldwin
“She was my family”, Alec Baldwin said of the victim, Halyna Hutchins. He had already previously expressed on Twitter his grief after the tragedy, and assured that he was cooperating with the investigating police.
The actor said he met Halyna Hutchins’ husband. “He’s in shock, he has a 9-year-old son, he explained. We are in constant contact with him because we are very worried about his family and his child. Like I said, we are anxiously awaiting the Sheriff’s Department to tell us what their investigation has yielded. “
No arrests have taken place at this stage, and investigations continue into the circumstances of the tragedy at the Bonanza Creek ranch, where Alec Baldwin was filming this western supposed to take place in the 19th century.e century. He was handling a revolver, which had been presented to him as unloaded and harmless, when the shot went off, killing Halyna Hutchins, and injuring the director, Joel Souza in the shoulder. The assistant director admitted that he should have checked the weapon before the rehearsal but that he had not.
At a press conference, prosecutor Mary Carmack-Altwies did not rule out possible criminal charges against Mr Baldwin, who is also on the list of producers of Rust. But she insisted that it was too early to establish the responsibilities of each and to formulate the accusations which could result from it.
500 cartridges found
The gunsmith employed on the film claimed for her part to have never been aware of the presence of “Live bullets” on set. This accident would never have happened “If live ammunition had not been introduced” on the set, recall his lawyers in a press release sent to Agence France-Presse (AFP), rejecting any responsibility for their client in the death of Mr.me Hutchins. According to them, their client “Has no idea where this live ammunition came from.”
The searches carried out on the set resulted in the seizure of 500 cartridges, dummy or blank, among which also appear to be live ammunition, said Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza, who is overseeing the investigation.
This ammunition must be assessed by the scientific police, as well as the fatal bullet, which ended its course in the shoulder of director Joel Souza.
Live bullets are totally prohibited on set by the very strict rules in force in the film industry, precisely to prevent this kind of accident. “I think there was a certain carelessness on this plateau”, also said Sheriff Mendoza.
Since the accident, calls for better gun control on Hollywood sets have multiplied, a change for which Alec Baldwin has confirmed “His extreme interest”.
We wish to thank the author of this write-up for this awesome content
Alec Baldwin Announces Shooting On “Rust” Movie Will Not Resume