Tennis: Thiem and Nadal make a comeback in Abu Dhabi

As the 28-year-old Lower Austrian announced on the tournament’s homepage, the Mubadala World Tennis Championship would come at the right time for the intended return to the court and thus for optimal preparation for the first Grand Slam tournament of the year in January. “The championship gives me the perfect opportunity to continue my comeback and play against top people on the tour,” said the Lower Austrian, who is ranked 12th in the world.

The Norwegian Casper Ruud and the Canadian Denis Shapovalov have so far been confirmed as participants. Nadal also wants to compete again in Abu Dhabi, as he revealed on Monday evening at a sponsorship appointment in Paris. The Spaniard said the plan was to do another tournament before competing at the Australian Open in January. “That’s my goal and we’re working hard on it.”

GEPA/Patrick Steiner

After a foot injury, Nadal has not played a game on the ATP tour since August

Nadal missed Wimbledon and the Olympics

The 35-year-old Spaniard suffered from back problems this year before a foot injury finally stopped him in August. He missed the tournament in Wimbledon as well as the Olympics in Tokyo and the US Open. The wound on the foot still has to heal a little, Nadal reported. But he can already complete training units of over an hour and a half. Regarding a start at the Australian Open, the Spaniard spoke clearly at the end of August. Like Roger Federer or Andy Murray, he is of the opinion that athletes should do their part and get vaccinated.

Thiem apparently already vaccinated

While Thiem is said to have received his first vaccination due to the strict entry regulations in Australia and the public criticism of his vaccination skepticism, according to a report by the “Kurier”, other top players are still waiting. US Open winner Daniil Medvedev also left his participation in the Australian Open open in January. The Russian said on Sunday that he would love to play in Melbourne. But if only players vaccinated against the coronavirus could participate, then he could not confirm his appearance at the moment. More will be known in January, he said.

Medvedev said nothing about his vaccination status and kept it like the world number one Novak Djokovic. Things are similar with the Serbs, he has not yet fixed his appearance in the first Grand Slam tournament of the year. “I will decide whether or not to come to Australia after seeing the official statement from Tennis Australia,” said Djokovic in Paris on Sunday. At the indoor tournament in France’s capital, he will play again for the first time after his US Open final defeat against Medvedev.

Vaccination status “is a private matter”

It has not yet been officially decided whether the unvaccinated will be allowed to take part in the major, which begins on January 17th. The conditions would be very strict with a strict two-week hotel quarantine. “This is a private matter,” said 34-year-old Djokovic regarding his vaccination status. The question about it is inappropriate. He has won the Australian Open nine times.

Similarly, Medvedev’s statement now: “I want to keep medical matters private, whether it concerns a vaccination or an injury. Any information that you could give to your opponent could fall back on you. ”Like Djokovic after Paris, the 25-year-old will still play in the ATP finals and the Davis Cup final tournament.

We wish to say thanks to the writer of this post for this outstanding material

Tennis: Thiem and Nadal make a comeback in Abu Dhabi

Mozart Dinner Concert